Studying in Belgium

Student from a European country

Are you a resident of a European Economic Area (EEA) member state or Switzerland?

This includes Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. This does not apply for oversea territories over Denmark, France, the Netherlands, and the UK.

Example of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

You probably already have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Take this with you to Belgium. You can register with a health insurance fund for free. If you incur medical costs, you can come visit one of our offices so we can arrange for your reimbursement.

If you don’t have an EHIC, request one from the health insurance provider in your home country. If you cannot obtain one, or if you receive a different document, drop by a Belgian health insurance fund office for more information.

More information on EHIC

Student from elsewhere

Students from a non-EEA country must register with a health insurance fund during their stay in Belgium. Drop by a health insurance fund office immediately upon arriving in Belgium.